ctvideo

Toshiba Laptop Satellite A665-S6070 freezes up at random--

This Toshiba Laptop has had this problem of freezing at random since I purchased it two months ago.  this happens with any program.  Should I return it or is there a fix for this problem?  I love the computer but this is unacceptable.

Regular Advisor
Rickez

Re: Toshiba Laptop Satellite A665-S6070 freezes up at random--

It would help to know some more specifics:

What Operating System?

Have you added/changed any hardware (IE. memory, HDD, etc.) to the machine other than what came from the factory?

When you say "freeze"...is this temporary condition (like it gets stuck momentarily then un-freezes) or does it require you to power off and restart the machine?

Does the freezing produces any errors before or after it freezes?

When it freezes is the entire machine "stuck" (can't move mouse, no keyboard response) or is just the active app frozen?

When it freeses do you see any harddrive activity. Is the HDD light on or flashing while it's frozen?

Have you added any other software to this machine other than that which came with it?

Assuming this is fairly reproducable, open up "Task Manager" <Ctrl>+<Shift>+<Esc>, then click on the "Processes" tab, and leave it running in the background, resized so you can still work, but still view it. When the machine freezes, do you see any particular item using up CPU %?

ctvideo

Running Windows 7

I have changed nothing on the compute but have installed some few software programs.  Otherwise it is just as it came from the factory.

When it freezes I must do a hard boot each time to get the machine to work. 

There are no errors before or after I reboot the machine. 

I have not noticed if there are any flashing lights during the freeze but the entire machine including the mouse and keyboard freezes causing me to do the hard boot to restart.

I will open the Task Manager and check it during the next freeze up.

Thanks and I will update this as soon as this happens again.

Ravasaheb

Laptop gets stuck. moust Alt+ctrl+del will not work. Any key is not working.
mdhan0971

We had the same problem.  Sent the machine to Toshiba where the hard drive was replaced under warranty.  Sadly, the same problem is occurring again.

oldchief

The problem may be Windows 7 and not the laptop. I bought my Satellite A665-S6070 about 4 months ago and have had random freezes since it was new - at least 3 times a week, sometimes more. I tried updating the video driver, BIOS, you name it - nothing helped. About 2 weeks ago I happened across an article in PCWorld which stated that Microsoft had issued a hotfix for Win 7 (32 and 64 bit) to prevent random freezes of the operating system (KB2265716). I installed the hotfix and haven't had a freeze up since. Hopefully this info helps you and others with this problem.

AJP1228

I have a new A665-S6050 which I purchased in October.  It worked fine the first month but then froze up last week for the first time (and did it again two days later).  Alt-control-delete did not work; I lost my mouse pointer at the same time and could not tab or do anything to pull up Task Manager and kill any programs.  Also, the machine was beeping at me.  I was using A/C power and could not turn off the PC with the power button.  I had to call Toshiba support and they had me switch to battery power and then hold down the power button to turn it off.  (I had held it down while on A/C power, but evidently that doesn't work unless you're on battery.)  Then they had me do some additional steps to be sure everything was ok.  The computer was working normally again after that.

Toshiba talked as if this was somewhat normal but said they would leave the case open and that I should call back if it happened again.  When I did call back the 2nd time, they said it was normal for a computer to freeze up on occasion.  They said I should just unplug it from the wall and turn it off by using the power button.  But this still sounds odd to me, as I've never had a computer beep at me and not let me into task manager just because a program acts up and freezes. 

If it really is a Windows 7 issue, wouldn't the hotfix be part of a Windows Update that I should have already installed by now, since I am receiving critial and important updates?

oldchief

The hot fix is supposed to part of SP1 whenever Microsoft gets around to releasing it. It could be several months away or longer.